Current:Home > reviews61-year-old with schizophrenia still missing three weeks after St. Louis nursing home shut down -GrowthInsight
61-year-old with schizophrenia still missing three weeks after St. Louis nursing home shut down
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 19:13:46
ST. LOUIS (AP) — A 61-year-old man with schizophrenia is still missing three weeks after the St. Louis nursing home where he lived abruptly closed.
The Missouri State Highway Patrol on Wednesday issued an endangered silver advisory seeking the public’s help in finding Frederick Caruthers, who was among about 175 residents of Northview Village Nursing Home before it closed on Dec. 15.
“Mr. Caruthers walked away from the Northview Nursing Home and has not been heard from since,” the advisory stated. “He is without needed medication.”
Residents were shuttled to about a dozen other care facilities in the hours after the nursing home closed. Many patients left with nothing but the clothes they were wearing, creating confusion and spurring outrage among residents and their families.
The Missouri Department of Health and Senior Services is investigating the circumstances surrounding the nursing home closure, spokeswoman Lisa Cox said. She declined further comment, citing the ongoing regulatory investigation.
A St. Louis police spokesperson said Friday that Caruthers remains missing. He was seen four days after the nursing home closed when former workers who attended a rally saw him near the busy street where the sprawling nursing home sits.
Healthcare Accounting Services, which owns Northview Village and several other St. Louis-area care facilities, did not respond to a phone message seeking comment.
One of Northview’s owners, Mark Suissa, told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch last month that the state wasn’t paying enough to keep the facility afloat. He also accused staff of walking out when they didn’t get paid, an accusation workers said was untrue.
“Of course I would have done it a different way,” he said of the closure. “I have other partners also involved. But unfortunately, that’s the way it happened.”
The union representing workers has said the company started to close the home and bus away residents after staff raised concerns about not being paid.
veryGood! (46)
Related
- North Carolina justices rule for restaurants in COVID
- Judge lets over 8,000 Catholic employers deny worker protections for abortion and fertility care
- Can AI make video games more immersive? Some studios turn to AI-fueled NPCs for more interaction
- Monsters: The Lyle and Erik Menendez Story Stars React to Erik Menendez’s Criticism
- House passes bill to add 66 new federal judgeships, but prospects murky after Biden veto threat
- Father of teenage suspect in North Carolina mass shooting pleads guilty to gun storage crime
- New 'Wuthering Heights' film casting sparks backlash, accusations of whitewashing
- Margaret Qualley Reveals Why Husband Jack Antonoff Lied to Her “First Crush” Adam Sandler
- Could Bill Belichick, Robert Kraft reunite? Maybe in Pro Football Hall of Fame's 2026 class
- Adult charged after Virginia 6 year old brings gun in backpack
Ranking
- Person accused of accosting Rep. Nancy Mace at Capitol pleads not guilty to assault charge
- In dueling speeches, Harris is to make her capitalist pitch while Trump pushes deeper into populism
- Jack Schlossberg Reveals His Family's Reaction to His Crazy Social Media Videos
- Former Houston officer convicted of murder in deaths of couple during drug raid
- Sarah J. Maas books explained: How to read 'ACOTAR,' 'Throne of Glass' in order.
- Judge approves $600 million settlement for residents near fiery Ohio derailment
- Amy Poehler reacts to 'Inside Out 2' being Beyoncé's top movie in 2024
- Anna Delvey Sums Up Her Dancing With the Stars Experience With Just One Word
Recommendation
How to watch new prequel series 'Dexter: Original Sin': Premiere date, cast, streaming
Dancing With the Stars’ Danny Amendola Sets Record Straight on Xandra Pohl Dating Rumors
Travis Kelce Reveals His Guilty Pleasure Show—And Yes, There's a Connection to Taylor Swift
Prodigy to prison: Caroline Ellison sentenced to 2 years in FTX crypto scandal
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
East Bay native Marcus Semien broken-hearted to see the A's leaving the Oakland Coliseum
Court upholds finding that Montana clinic submitted false asbestos claims
Bridgerton Ball in Detroit Compared to Willy's Chocolate Experience Over Scam Fan Event